INTRODUCTION TO MATA’S LEVEL 7 DIPLOMA IN FACIAL AESTHETICS
The Level 7 Diploma is the gold standard in non-surgical aesthetic qualifications, equivalent to a Masters and fully regulated by OFQUAL. Here at MATA, we authored the first OTHM approved Level 7 Diploma in order to improve patient care, safety standards and quality of results from aesthetic injectable procedures.
Since launching in 2015, thousands of delegates have completed this training with us and have gone on to have flourishing careers within the industry. We only offer this course to delegates who meet a certain level of medical qualification (more details below) and we have designed a multitude of additional specialist training and qualifications that sit as the perfect complement to your Level 7 Diploma as you build your aesthetics career.
- Must have an undergraduate degree (level 6) in medicine, nursing, dentistry, midwifery, pharmacy and paramedics
- Suitable for beginner to intermediate level
- OTHM regulated Diploma qualification, equivalent to a masters
- Minimum of five practical training days, equating to at least 40 hours of hands on experience
- 150 hours eLearning material
- Up to 9 months to complete
- 600 CPD points
Course Key Features:
- The Course provides three full days of hands on practice in Botox® and dermal fillers, two introductory days and one day of Foundation Mentorship. This is five days of practical training in total at minimum
- You will develop your understanding of the theory behind aesthetic injectables through online learning and the theoretical pathway
- You will train in some of the most popular Botox® and Dermal Filler treatment areas
- All models required for the Foundation Course will be provided and pre-assessed for suitability by MATA, allowing you to see up to 7 patients per day and record these in your logbook
- You will learn in groups of no more than six medical professionals, giving you the opportunity to network and share best practice, and log observed Botox® and dermal filler treatments in your logbook. You will conduct procedures under one to one supervision with our expert trainer
- You will be trained by an aesthetics expert, selected to work with MATA on the basis of their years of practicing in Botox® and dermal fillers.
At MATA, we will only accept those who meet either of the following:
- An undergraduate degree (level 6) in medicine, nursing, dentistry, midwifery, pharmacy and paramedics.
- Are currently holding a valid GMC/NMC/GDC/GPhC number with an active licence to practice in the UK.
- Preferably English as a first language or evidence or English Language Testing System (IELTS) 7.0 in all components.
Our Pathway to Learning
At MATA, we pride ourselves on giving you the best experience when entering the aesthetics Industry. Saliently, we have designed our courses with leading industry experts including our Medical Director, Dr Faizeen Zavahir (MBCHB, MRCS, MSC) a cosmetic surgeon with an extensive background in aesthetics. The learning pathway is a blended approach of both practical and theoretical which run in tandem. This has been purposefully designed in order to give you the most comprehensive foundation as well as confidence in facial aesthetics. It also means that you have flexibility to complete the diploma around your schedule which we know is really important for many delegates.
Theoretical Pathway for the Level 7 Diploma
The theoretical course content breaks down into seven units that have been tailored to give you the foundations to feel safe and confident to deliver incredible results for your patients:
Unit 1: Introduction to Aesthetic Injectable Therapies (8 credits)
- Anatomy and physiology of muscles, skin, nerves and glands.
- Safe injectable practice
Unit 2: Patient Medical Assessment and Image Recording (10 credits)
- Identify patient needs and motivations
- Explain Procedures and learn to log patient treatment records
Unit 3: Principles, Practice and Treatment Management of Aesthetic Injectables (12 credits)
- In-depth understanding of Botulinum Toxin and Dermal Filler Injectable Therapies
- Safe Clinical Practice for aesthetic procedures
Unit 4: Injectable Therapies for Management of Hyperhidrosis (4 credits)
- Learn the fundamentals of pharmacology, toxicology and biologics
- Recognise conditions like hyperhidrosis and complications
Unit 5: Health, Safety and Clinical Compliance (10 credits)
- Clinical compliance, potential risks and managing medical emergencies
- Complete written assignments and a clinical compliance folder as evidence
Unit 6: Appraising the Clinical Literature (6 credits)
- Learn skills to evaluate the scientific literature
- Identify and demonstrate clinical thinking, writing and referencing
Unit 7: Professionalism in Cosmetic Aesthetic Practice (10 credits)
- Evidence of clinical professionalism
Practical Pathway for the Level 7 Diploma
Stage One: Foundation Course and Foundation Mentorship
MATA’s Foundation Course is the perfect introduction to Botox® and dermal fillers. The initial 2 days of the training course deliver a blended learning experience to ensure you leave fully versed in the theory and practice of Botox® and dermal fillers in a selection of some of the most popular treatment areas. You will observe multiple techniques and procedures on live patients and you will treat your first live patient under one to one supervision with our expert trainer. As part of our Level 7 Diploma you then complete a day of Foundation Mentorship which is an additional day of practical hands on training to bring all your new experience together, revisiting the techniques you have learned as part of the Foundation Course to practice and build confidence.
Day One: Botox Theory and Practice, covering a selection of forehead lines, crows feet and glabella lines
Day Two: Dermal Filler Theory and Practice, covering a selection of lip filler, cheek filler and marionette lines filler
Day Three: Foundation Mentorship Day, focusing on the procedures covered on days one and two to practice, refine your skills and build confidence
Stage Two: Advanced Course
Conducted over two full training days, this blended learning experience will introduce you to advanced Botox® and dermal filler techniques; enhancing and expanding your expertise in injectables to make you stand out in the aesthetics industry as well as educating you on using injectables to treat non aesthetic medical conditions. MATA’s Advanced Course is the ideal next step in developing your understanding of more complex Botox® and dermal filler techniques; enhancing the range of treatment options you can offer to create outstanding results for your clients.
Day One: Advanced Botox Training, providing hands on experience across a selection of the following areas:
- Brow Lift
- Neck Lift
- Gummy Smile Reduction
- Bunny Lines
- Jowl Reduction
- Botox for Hyperhidrosis
- Botox for Bruxism
- Peri-Oral Lines
Day Two: Advanced Dermal Filler Training, providing hands on experience across a selection of the following areas:
- Temple Filler
- Jaw Filler
- Nasolabial Folds
- Chin Filler
- Tear Trough Filler
Stage Three: Additional Mentorship days (optional)
For some of our less experienced delegates or delegates who have a desire to deepen their learning on specific procedures and techniques, we offer additional mentorship days as part of the Level 7 Diploma in order to ensure you feel set up for success. You are able to add on an additional two days or five days practical training as part of your Level 7 Diploma learning pathway which is very popular for those who do have those more specific desires regarding their training objectives.
Key Assessment Criteria and Learning Milestones
Our Level 7 Diploma is a combination of theoretical and practical learning to ensure you feel completely confident by the end of your qualification. We are OFQUAL regulated and our qualifications are approved by OTHM. There are five key components to your assessment in order to complete the Level 7 Diploma:
- Twenty observed procedures, ten Botox® and ten dermal fillers
- Twenty DOPs (direct observational practice) done under one to one supervision with an expert trainer, ten Botox® and ten dermal fillers
- Short answer questions on facial aesthetics
- Written literature review
- Health and safety written assessments
- Full patient case study
We focus on ensuring that you are confident by the end of our qualifications, both with knowledge and practical skills. Additionally, you’re assessed with SAQs (Short Answer Questions), DOPs (Direct Observational Practice) and demonstrating clinical experience. All our courses adopt a 3:1 ratio, favouring the practical side to aesthetics by the end you should be able to:
- Understand and apply basic aesthetic medicine terminology
- Pass all DOPS, SAQs, End-of-unit reviews and logbook recording
- Demonstrate basic and advanced techniques for injectables training
- Confidence and competence with safe injectable practice
Upon completion and passing these critical milestones, many of our trainees use these skills to set-up an aesthetic business, acquire freelance work or increase their employability.
Advantages of our Level 7 Diploma over the Certificate?
An OTHM Level 7 Certificate in Clinical Aesthetic Injectable Therapies is awarded upon completion of the four mandatory units: Introduction to Aesthetics, Patient Medical Assessment, Principles of Practice and Injectable Management of Hyperhidrosis. Additionally, an OTHM Level 7 Diploma Clinical Aesthetic Injectable Therapies is awarded if you complete the remaining three units: clinical compliance, appraising the literature and professionalism.
As one of the very few independent academies to offer a diploma, you are able to set yourself apart in a highly competitive industry. From leading aesthetic experts, you are taught advanced cosmetic techniques and offered additional support.
Benefits of the Level 7 Postgraduate Diploma Include:
- Establish yourself within a competitive industry
- Ensure you have the knowledge to begin an aesthetics business
- Experienced in managing medical emergencies